Easy Ways to Stop the Spread of Germs at Work
Practicing good hygiene routines in the workplace can help prevent the spread of illness and keep employees healthy. According to the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety, the most important way to reduce the spread of germs at work is washing your hands
. To ensure proper hand washing, use an adequate amount of soap, rub the hands together for at least 15 seconds, and rinse under warm water. Additionally, you should protect your hands from touching dirty surfaces in the washroom
. Use a paper towel to turn off the faucet and when opening the door. Although hand washing is the most effective technique, there are additional ways
to protect yourself and others at work.
- Stay home if you’re sick. Going into the office when you’re sick can inhibit your productivity and spread your illness to other people.
- Use a tissue, or cough and sneeze into your arm, not your hand. If you’re around other people, turn away from them.
- Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Do not share glasses, dishes or cutlery without cleaning them thoroughly with hot water and soap.
- Get appropriate vaccines
What can your Workplace Do?
There are several actions that offices can take to help stop the spread of germs at work.
- Be prepared. Offices should have an infection control plan in place.
- Offer alcohol-based hand sanitizers in various locations around the office and ensure other employees such as truck drivers have proper sanitation as well.
- Provide boxes of tissues to employees.
- Regularly disinfect communal items such as lunchrooms, microwaves, and fridge handles.
By following these simple practices, you can drastically reduce the spread of germs at work. Further, this document
from the World Health Organization also offers useful information and tips.
Create a Healthy Workplace with Source
Stop into one of our 12 showroom locations across Canada
today to browse our selection of office furniture and speak with our sales representatives to learn how you can create a workplace that fosters productivity and health. We hope to see you soon!