St. Patrick’s Day: Why Green?
Wearing green is a St.Patrick’s day staple, but have you ever wondered why? The popularity of the colour green is thought to be related to Ireland’s nickname “The Emerald Isle,” the green in the Irish flag and the shamrock. Additionally, legend has it
that wearing green makes a person invisible to leprechauns who pinch someone if they see them. Here
are some other fun facts about St. Patrick’s Day.
- In Ireland, St. Patrick’s Day is a recognized national holiday. Banks, stores, and businesses are all closed for the day.
- 1962 marked the first time Chicago dyed their river green for St Patrick’s Day.
- The odds of finding a four-leaf clover are about 1 in 10,000.
- For most of the 20th century, Saint Patrick’s Day was considered a strictly religious holiday in Ireland. The nation’s pubs were actually closed for business on March 17.
- St. Patrick is responsible for converting the people of Ireland to Christianity.
Get Green with Source
Green is one of our favourite colours here at Source. From Greenguard Certified
environmentally-friendly products, to our selection of customizable green products
, we’re thrilled to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Did you know that our signature brand, Performance
, is only one of a few Canadian companies that sell laminate workstations certified by the Greenguard Environmental institute
as meeting their emissions standards? We strive to sell products that ensure a healthy work environment for employees, customers, and guests. Moreover, each of our Source store locations are committed to reducing their carbon footprint by printing less paper, recycling, and being mindful to turn off the lights when they’re not needed.
How do you make the world a greener place? We’d love to hear your St.Patrick’s Day traditions, or environmentally-friendly habits. Share you thoughts with us on our Facebook
, or Instagram
pages. We love connecting with our followers and engaging in conversation.
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with Source Saskatoon
St.Patrick’s Day is a popular holiday in Saskatoon, with fun events
to attend around the city. Stop by our Saskatoon showroom
for some good luck, and celebrate green with the Saskatchewan Rush
lacrosse team at one of their games on March 20
. We hope you have a great St. Patrick’s Day and don’t forget to wear green to avoid being pinched!