Sitting at a desk all day can cause fatigue and restlessness. Productivity decreases when employees lose focus and turn to scrolling through social media or online shopping. Therefore, it’s important to have strategies in place to help you stay focused at work. The following 10 tips will help you succeed and stay productive.
1) Take breaks. Staring at the computer screen for long hours can lead to lethargy, fatigue, and headache. That’s why it’s recommended to take short breaks after every 60 minutes of continuous work
. Go for a walk outside, or walk to the coffee machine to grab a refreshment.
2) Invest in an ergonomically supportive office chair
. Work can be mentally and physically strenuous when you don’t have a supportive chair. It’s difficult to stay focused when you aren’t comfortable. Buy an office chair that has adjustable features and customizable options for your comfort.
3) Silence your phone and turn your notifications off. When your phone is constantly going off throughout the work day, it can take you off task and distract you. If you don’t need your phone for your job, put it on silent and put it away in a drawer so you won’t be tempted to look at it.
4) Create a to-do list. Writing down action items will help you prioritize tasks and give you a sense of accomplishment when you complete them. Physically checking off tasks that you complete will relieve stress because you’ll have one less item to worry about.
5) Listen to music. Chatty coworkers and workplace noises can be distracting. Seven out of ten
workers say that music improves their productivity. However, be sure to keep your volume low and remove your headphones when someone comes to speak with you.
6) Organize your workspace. Clutter
is prohibitive to getting work done. Fortunately, storage solutions such as filing cabinets
, and vertical hutch organizers
can keep papers off of your desk.
7) Get enough sleep. Being drowsy at work won’t benefit your work habits. Adults 26 to 64 years old need 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night
in order to function at their best.
8) Drink water. Although coffee may seem like the only drink that will get you through the day, water is a better option to avoid unwanted caffeine side effects. Drinking enough water is one of the easiest and most basic steps you can take to help maintain your focus.
9) Do tasks according to priority. Although it may seem easier to complete simple tasks first, it’s important to organize yourself effectively. Don’t waste time chipping away at small tasks that could be completed later. The sooner you finish larger projects, the less stress you’ll have.
10) Schedule Vacation Time. Skipping out on vacation time can backfire when it comes to productivity, and lead to major burnout
. Use all of your vacation days, and don’t feel guilty about asking for time off, you deserve it!
Keep Focused with Furniture from Source
Create a work environment that maximizes productivity with furniture solutions from Source. Although open-concept offices are trendy right now, studies show
that they have a negative effect on attention spans, creative thinking, productivity and job satisfaction. Consider the benefits of cubicles
before you follow the latest trends and transform your office. Source offers floor planning and design services
to help you create the best layout for your company’s needs. We’ll provide tailored furniture recommendations and storage solutions to maximize space and productivity. Stop by one of our 12 showroom locations across Canada
to browse our unparalleled selection of products. Additionally, we’re always open online at Source.ca